Sunday, January 22, 2012

Speak

One of my favorite historical figures is the very man who has about a million streets named after him, Martin Luther King Jr. (FYI Chicago was the first city to do this)

I love reading his speeches. His heart was beautiful and cared deeply for the oppressed and powerless. He loved God, loved his country, loved justice and perhaps most significantly understood the importance of love. On of my professors from PA school just sent me an email with a quote from MLK I had never heard. It was said at a speech given on April 4, 1967, at "a meeting of Clergy and Laity Concerned at Riverside Church in New York City". He was speaking about the war in Vietnam then this quote comes in the context of him saying that because he is a Son of the Living God he has this calling on his life, he states

"This I believe to be the privilege and the burden of all of us who deem ourselves bound by allegiances and loyalties which are broader and deeper than nationalism and which go beyond our nation's self-defined goals and positions"

So he is saying that he is bound to something much deeper than nationalism and as Christians this call is on our life:

"We are called to speak for the weak, for the voiceless, for victims of our nation and for those it calls enemy, for no document from human hands can make these humans any less our brothers."

Sure MLK was not talking about the undocumented immigrants among us. But this truth he proclaims is insanely relevant to our modern day. Lately Ive been studying the Isaiah 58, which part of the passage reads

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
11 The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.

I don't write these words with any political agenda, in fact I don't even know who is running for the republican candidacy (that's how out of tune I am with politics). I love republicans, I love democrats, I'm not sure who the tea party people are but I'm sure I'd love them too. I love all the people that aren't even sure what a republican or democrat even is. MLK was very outspoken politically. I try not to be. Politics are complicated. I often see both sides of most arguments. Immigration is tricky. There are more than 2 sides of the proverbial coin. All I'm saying is lets love our fellow man regardless of any papers they may or may not have. Lets seek to humbly fight injustice and do our part in freeing the oppressed.

Copy of the speech
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/058.html

For fun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_streets_named_after_Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment